Wednesday, December 12, 2018

My maiden post in my investing diary

I have been investing for a little while since my army days, which amounts to a decent period of 4 years. But yet, I have not been able to properly sit down and document each bit of my investing journey. Since it's the December holidays for me now, I thought it will be a good start for me to begin penning my thought processes along the way.

I hope this blog can serve as a poignant reminder of what I did well, could have done better and most importantly, what I should never do again. A retrospective diary of all my decisions which I can look back and reflect on (if necessary)

As it stands at the current time of writing, this is my current portfolio holdings here.

I am currently rather bearish on the market as I believe the ill-effects of the looming trade war has been grossly underestimated and we will feel the full blasts of it in 2019. As you can see, I am heavily vested in Singapore Savings Bonds (SSB), while waiting for any undervalued stocks to surface. My current active position is in Starhub (which I am suffering a paper loss but I am still holding onto it because I think the current price is rather sustainable).

Currently STI is at 3,099.99 with a +40.71 gain on 12 December, where it's 52 week trading range stands at 2,955.68 to 3,641.65. 

The most significant piece of macro news at this point of time would be the recent arrest of Huawei's Chief Financal Officer (CFO) Meng Wanzhou, which caused some tension in the US markets the previous week. I would be looking to see how this saga plays out, which in my opinion should be resolved soon.

Back at home, Singapore is currently facing a maritime dispute with Malaysia, where Malaysian ships have been stopping at Singapore waters. I doubt the dispute will be escalated badly and the Singapore market does not seem to be rattled by the events.

But these events are just one-off events, the main highlight for me is the set of interest rate hikes the Federal Reserve is set to embark on as that is what will directly affect the financial markets. Hikes invariably mean that the cost of money is higher, which will lead investors to venture into safe havens such as US Treasuries and liquidate their equities which are deemed to be higher risk. I am glad that I am in the position where I am holding a sizable amount of cash in SSB which I am ready to deploy anytime once the market goes down.

That concludes my first post, and please leave me any comments if there is anything. I would love to have a discussion about anything under the sun :) I am also on InvestingNote so do reach out to me. It would be great to share ideas and strategies on thriving in the investing world.

6 comments:

  1. Always nice and refreshing to see new additions to the community. See you around!

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the kind comments. very appreciated

      Delete
  2. Good to see a new blog in the community. Nice post! Speak soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your kind words! learning from experienced bloggers like you :)

      Delete

OCBC Dividend too

 Another choice to make here: OCBC is offering a cash or stock option. Similarly to Mapletree NAC, I think cash is the way to go for this ti...